​​​Frequently asked questions about the services provided by the Whiteland Police Department Division:

Where was my vehicle towed to?

         If your vehicle was towed, the department uses Graham's Wrecker Service.  For additional information, you can contact Graham's at  (317) 736-0020 or the

        department during normal business hours at (317) 535-8100.  

Abandoned Vehicle?

         You will need to call the dispatch center at: (317) 346-6336 to request to speak to an Officer. 

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspections?

         WPD will complete ​Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) checks for residents and businesses only within the WPD jurisdiction. 

        Before you fill request a VIN check, please determine if you live in the town limits.  WPD is not able to do VIN checks for those that live outside of the WPD jurisdiction. 


        Please download or pick up all required forms PRIOR to requesting a VIN inspection.  They can be downloaded at: https://www.in.gov/bmv/titles/title-forms/

        There is no fee for a VIN inspection, nor do you need to schedule an appointment.  Call Dispatch Center at: (317) 346-6336 to request a VIN check for an officer to be dispatched to your location with the              item needing checked.  

Fingerprinting Services?

       Unfortunately, WPD no longer does fingerprinting services at this location. 

         IdentoGo completes fingerprinting for handgun permits, you can check with them for fingerprinting for other needs as well. 


         If you are a business wanting to notify law enforcement about a repossession you’ll be performing, please call dispatch at: (317) 346-6336.

         If you think your vehicle may have been repossessed, please keep in mind that businesses are NOT required to report to us if they are repossessing your vehicle. First contact your lending institution to find           out if a repossession has occurred prior to contacting dispatch at: (317) 346-6336.

Court Questions / Court Dates?
         WPD cannot advise you anything about pending court dates, hearings, cases, etc. You must contact the court directly to ask your questions.
         For any County Court questions, please call the main courthouse switchboard at: (317) 736-5000.
         For Greenwood City Court, please call: (317) 882-5129.
         For Franklin City Court, please call: (317) 736-3619.

Online Payment for Ticket Citations?
         If you were issued a ticket for a traffic violation or infraction, use this link https://publicaccess.courts.in.gov/pay/#/   to learn how to pay your ticket, or if available, to pay the ticket online.  (Note: not all tickets           issued in Indiana are available on this site, and not all tickets are eligible for online payment.)


        If you are unable to locate your ticket, please contact the department at (317) 535-8100  for assistance.  


Limited Criminal History/Background Checks?  

        WPD only provides limited criminal history/background checks for requesting government agencies with an authorization of release.  Requests can be faxed to: (317) 535-6062 or emailed to:                                  jmeece@whitelandpd.us

        Unfortunately, WPD does not provide any other limited criminal history/background checks at this location.  Indiana MyCase may be able to provide the information you are needing.  

How do I pay fees to WPD?

         Cash, Money Order or Debit/Credit Card.  Debit/Credit Cards will be assessed a small fee.  Payments can be made online, by mail or in person.

Application for Handgun License? 
                                     ​​All Permits are Now Processed Electronically Online!

        Electronic Application Procedure:


​           Complete your application online at:  https://www.in.gov/isp/firearms-licensing/apply-for-a-new-license-to-carry/                          

        2. Read the application carefully and answer truthfully. False statements, lack of information, or less than full disclosure of any arrest record may be grounds for disapproval of your application.


            All Gun Permit applicants are required to obtain electronic fingerprints. Applicants may do so by scheduling an appointment during the online gun permit application process. 

            Please wait at least 24 hours after getting fingerprinting completed to come into the local PD for the next step. 


            Bring your Application Number,  receipt of fingerprinting, and a valid government issued driver’s license or ID card to the local PD that has jurisdiction of your address. 

            WPD provides handgun license application services for persons who reside within the corporate limits of the Town of Whiteland only.

            You do not need to schedule an appointment, just visit the station during normal business hours.    

        5. Your application will be electronically transferred to ISP for final review.  You will be notified by mail of the approval or rejection of your application. This notification comes from the Indiana State Police.                  The State Police issues all permits in the State of Indiana.

            This process can take up to six weeks. If you have not received notification after six weeks, you can check the status of your application at: 


Indiana Law states that a handgun license is not required to carry a handgun in the person’s dwelling, on the person’s property or their fixed place of business, so long as they have the right to possess said firearm not contrary to other restrictions or criminal convictions.

You CANNOT obtain an Indiana Handgun Permit if you:
Have a conviction for resisting law enforcement within five years before the person applies for a license or permit
Have a conviction for a crime for which he could have been sentenced for more than one (1) year
Have a record of being an alcohol abuser, meaning one who has had two or more alcohol related offenses, any one (1) of which resulted in conviction by a court or treatment in an alcohol abuse facility within three (3) years prior to the date of application o Have a record of being a drug abuser, meaning one who has had two (2) or more violations of: Dealing in Cocaine, Dealing in Narcotics, or Dealing in a Schedule I, II, III, IV, or V Controlled substances – Any one of which resulted in conviction by a court or treatment in a drug abuse facility within five (5) years prior to the date of application.
Have documented evidence which would give rise to a reasonable belief that he has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct
Make a false statement of material fact on his application
Have a conviction of any crime involving an inability to safely handle a handgun
Have a conviction for violations of the provisions of IC 35-47 within the last five (5) years of his application
Have adjudication as a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person applying for a license or permit under this chapter is less than twenty-three (23) years of age.

Indiana Code 35-47-2-1 also states:
A person who has been convicted of Domestic Battery may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person’s body in the person’s dwelling or on the person’s property or fixed place of business

Door-to-Door Solicitation?
        The Town of Whiteland requires all door-to-door or public fora solicitation in the town to first register with the Clerk Treasurer and obtain a solicitor permit before soliciting within the Town's limits. 


         Visit section 112 of the Town of Whiteland's Ordinances for more information.    

        ​If you have solicitors in your area, please call dispatch at: (317) 346-6336 to make a report.

Public Information Request/Freedom of Information (FOI) Act Requests?
        To submit a Public Information Request/Freedom of Information (FOI) Act Request, please download and complete the required form and email it to jmeece@whitelandpd.us

        You can contact WPD administration for any additional questions at (317) 535-8100

____Frequently Asked Questions____


Whiteland Police Department